Friday, November 30, 2012

No more masks



For those of you that know me at all, you likely know that I’m one of the most sarcastic people that you’ll ever meet. Life’s too short to be serious all the time. Am I right? Or am I right? In most situations I find it necessary to use sarcasm. Sarcasm is just a huge part of me and I think it’s important to have a sense of humor. If you don’t have one I hate to break it to you, but chances are you’re boring.

Now I’m not trying to be rude by saying that, but it’s true. People like to be around people that they have fun with, right? Well sarcasm is a key element to having a sense of humor and it’s a great way to be fun and get to know new people. Of course, I learned that late in my life of sarcasm. I was always afraid what other people would think. Whether they would think I’m weird because of my odd sense of humor. But then it hit me, who cares?

Originally I started this blog wanting to talk about just sarcasm, but I guess it’s going a different way. I’ve learned lately that it’s not worth worrying what other people think. I don’t know why I was so self-conscious about my personality. Frankly, I shouldn’t have been. Realizing that I have friends who like being around me just because I’m me really opened my eyes.

No one should be afraid to be themselves most of the time. It’s a horrible feeling. Not to mention that I absolutely hate fake people. And I suppose everyone does. Sometimes it’s completely necessary to put on an act, but if you’re doing it more often than being yourself then something’s wrong. I urge you all to ask yourself if you act the same around your family as you do with your best friends. And then figure out why or why not.

Honestly, once you figure out that being yourself is better for you than putting on a mask you’ll be happier. At school I would always have a mask on, because I didn’t know how people would take my odd sense of humor and the rest of my personality. But I slowly realized that my friends had the same sense of humor as me, and in my senior year I began to act just as I would around my family. Crazy. Sure I might dull the crazy down when I’m with certain people, but it’s still there.

So what is it about you that people love? Why do the people who you can be yourself around like you? Figure that out and you’ll realize that everyone will like you more if you’re yourself and don’t hide who you are. And if they don’t like you, then that’s their loss. Everyone is amazing in their own ways and everyone has someone out there, maybe multiple people, who will enjoy being around them just because they are themselves. 

 You need to find the people that love you for just being you, and forget about the people that you can't be yourself around. Look at that mask you put on, and throw it away. Show that sarcasm or that craziness that you have inside of you. I guarantee everyone has a little crazy in them. So what if some people will judge you? Screw them. They’re missing out. Once you get that in your head, you’ll be in a better place.

-Eric Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment