Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Same Love




In light of numerous states legalizing same-sex marriage I have decided to share my views on homosexual people. Massachusetts, who was the first state in the US to issue a same-sex marriage license, has been allowing this since 2004 and I am happy to see that other states are beginning to follow suit. Yesterday, voters in Maine, Washington, and Maryland became the first states to legalize same-sex marriages through popular referendum. This is definitely a big step towards the equality of homosexuals.

I completely support gay marriage and the equality of homosexuals. I absolutely hate the people that are disgusted by gay people. I really don’t understand what the problem is. It isn’t your life to judge, so just let them be. Who are you to say that gays aren’t normal? Is there even a normal today? Everyone is completely unique in their own way. And I don’t see any reason why being gay should be seen as wrong. Shame on you if you’ve ever made fun of someone or disowned them for being gay.

It breaks my heart hearing news stories about gay teens committing suicide because of bullying. Kids don’t think about what they’re saying when they’re using derogatory terms toward gay people. Honestly, when I was younger I would throw around those terms too. But when you realize that the words you say can actually hurt someone, you need to stop. Not only should people not bully gay people, but they shouldn’t bully anyone to that extent. Just because someone is different or maybe a little weird it doesn’t mean that you have the right to judge them and make fun of them.

Another thing that I don’t like is that some Christians are so close minded about homosexuality and can’t accept it in the slightest. The Bible was written how many years ago? We can’t just read the Bible and put it in our own words in order to justify condemning homosexuality. I’m not saying that all Christians are like that; of course it varies from person to person, but I have experienced some people that are like that.

People sometimes say that people turned gay and I hate that too. I thoroughly believe that gay people were born that way, just as other people were born straight. It isn’t something that someone chooses to be, it’s inside of them. When people say that I always bite my tongue, but I really want to go off and tell them how ignorant they are for thinking that. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you’ll be able to look at gay people the same way as you look at straight people.

We’re living in the 21st century; of course you are going to see gay people around. I’m not saying that you need to agree with same-sex relationships and support it, but you should at least be able to accept it. Times have definitely changed and if you aren’t willing to accept it then I just think that you are very closed minded. How is the love of a gay couple any different than the love of a heterosexual couple? The quick and easy answer for me to that question is: It isn’t. It is two people that love each other, who cares what their genders are?

Recently, a rapper that I listen to named Macklemore came out with a song called Same Love. This song is in support for gay marriage and I definitely give props to Macklemore for this. Although it may not be the style that most of you like, give it a listen and try to listen to the lyrics. It is one of the strongest messages that I have ever heard in a song, and I listen to a lot of music.


 I have gay relatives and I have gay friends. I don’t look at them any differently for it either. Why should I? We should be able to love whoever we want and not have to be afraid to show that. Gay people should have the same exact rights as straight people. My uncle is married to a man, but he isn’t any different than any of my other uncles. I love him just as I love all of my other relatives, and I don’t see a single reason why I shouldn’t. Because at the end of the day Macklemore is right, they have the “same love” as straight people despite what some people think.

-Eric Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment