Monday, December 3, 2012

I don't miss it




Everyone always told me that high school would be the best years of my life and that I would miss it when I went to college. Well it may be too soon to tell, but I don’t miss it. Not even in the slightest. I mean, I miss home a lot but high school I don’t even think about really. There are specific things I miss, but not high school in general. The things I think about from high school are definitely more negative than positive.

I’ve gone back to my high school for two events this year and, no offence to anyone there, it was riddled with immaturity. I remember seeing immature kids as a senior in high school, but it definitely seems worse now that I’m out of there. It was amazing just sitting in the auditorium and overhearing the conversations that these kids were having about sex, drugs, and random stupid rumors that have nothing to do with them. The rumors are what I miss the least. Rumors plagued the majority of situations and were an hourly occurrence at my high school. People are so worried about other people’s lives when they should be focusing on their own life. High school would be so much easier and more fun if people would just mind their own business, but instead they’re immature and have to find a way to be a part of everyone’s lives.

Honestly, the three things that I miss the most are friends, the teachers, and baseball. I had some great teachers in high school and although I didn’t always like going to school they taught me a lot. The good thing about the other two things is that they’re still part of my life. I’m still relatively close with my group of friends and it’s always great to go home and have a good time with them. Baseball will always be a part of my life. In high school it was great because I made new friends and got to see younger players develop a lot. Being at college it is the same in the sense that I’m making new friends through baseball, but I’m the young kid that will develop over time.

I don’t miss going to a place with no cell phone service from 8 to 2 everyday with very little freedom. At college you’re responsible for all of your studies and the professors don’t hold your hand like some of the high school teachers do. I would have been in for a very rude awakening if some of my teachers hadn’t prepared me for this. At the time I hated that my high school teachers made it our job to keep up with the work, but now that I’m in college I definitely look back on it with appreciation. The freedom is great, but you need to know how to use that freedom productively. That’s the biggest thing.

I guess, looking back on it, high school wasn’t THAT bad. I do miss some of the things that came with high school, but for the most part I don’t miss high school in general. It may be the best time of your life for some people, but high school was not the best time for me. Would I go back and relive my high school career? Not a chance. Would you?

-Eric Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment