Monday, September 17, 2012

So much for till death do us part...




Marriage is certainly not what it used to be. The divorce rate in America for first marriages is around 40%. I don’t know about any of you, but this isn’t impressive to me. I don’t think that marriage vows are taken seriously enough anymore. Yes when you get married you say the vows, but do you understand them? Do you mean them?

Too often people jump into marriages way too quickly and they don’t understand the severity of what they’re doing. Till death do us part. That’s a very serious promise, a promise that is hard to keep for some people. But I think that if you’re willing to get married to someone you should be able to keep that promise. Why would you marry someone if you weren’t 100% certain that you want to be with that person for the rest of your life? When I get married I’m going to have to know for sure that I want to be with that person for the rest of my life. Because I don’t take those vows lightly. No one should take those vows lightly.

I guess I’m old fashion; I idolize my grandparent’s era of marriages. Yes there are marriages that still have that flavor, but not very often. I want a marriage like that, and I think that marriages like that ARE still possible. I just think that people aren’t willing to work at a marriage to make it work. If you love someone enough you do whatever it takes to be with that person. And if you don’t love someone that much, then why are you marrying them?

Divorce has provided an easy way out of marriages. It’s a way that you can just forget about everything when things get tough and give up. I guess I understand divorce in some cases, but I don’t ever want to get divorced. I suppose there comes a point in a marriage where you just can’t take anymore, but I don’t see myself ever getting to that point. I feel as if I would nip the problem in the butt before it got to that level. I certainly can’t speak from experience and I don’t judge the people that do get divorced.

An ideal marriage isn’t perfect in any way. Every single relationship has its problems, and if it doesn’t it isn’t a healthy relationship. Couples fight all the time. That doesn’t mean that they’re going to give up on the relationship every time something goes wrong. You have to be able to look past the hardships and realize that the good times outweigh the bad.

My hope is that marriages can begin to strive for how I think marriages should be; a lifelong commitment. In my eyes that is the essence of the perfect marriage. So when you get married, think of those marriages that do actually last a lifetime. Think of those couples that never fell out of love. Those couples that stuck through all the hardships and got stronger because of them. You may think that this is a storybook or romance movie kind of thing, but it can happen in reality. You just have to work at it.

 Thanks for reading, keep looking for the next one.

-Eric Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment